Saturday 8 September 2012

I need a hobby...

I have decided I need a new hobby.

Having devoted myself to journalism these past few years my original hobby, writing, has been slowly taken over and turned into a professional endeavour meaning I have no real answer for the question 'what do you do in your spare time?'

Of course, I do all the normal 21 year old girl things like watching TV, listening to music and drinking too much but what I need is a cool and interesting hobby, like sky diving, or painting, or photography. Or at least something I can use Instagram to document (as this seems to be the go to move for all those achingly cool types I see on Twitter).

Because, in 2012, if you can't take a slightly grainy looking picture of yourself doing it, holding an Iphone afloat and pouting then its probably not worth doing.

I remember back when I still had a reasonable amount of money and my life wasn't completely occupied with work/my career/escape plans I used to be reasonably fun (I've never been cool). I used to listen to good (ish) music and while I was never one of those annoying people who go find unsigned bands (who are normally unsigned for a reason) and act superior to those who listen to 'mainstream music' I knew my arse from my elbow when it came to the slightly under the radar musicians and artists.

Since the heady days of my youth (aka during my GCSEs when I never did any work) I've become too utilitarian about everything. As I do not what to be a music journalist so why bother spending too much time with it?  I may love fashion but I don't have the money for clothes and I lack that certain type of creativity to make new ones. Although I can sew even if that's mainly sewing buttons back on the cardigans and shirts I've had for about five years.

I wouldn't say I've been more boring, just perhaps a bit more two dimensional and I've lost a lot of what I once loved in life. That is probably contributing to my unhappiness at the moment (other than being unemployed).

My career has to remain my priority, and whilst I'm still poor, I can't afford to adopt a home that involved spending money. So that leaves me doing something indoors and probably in the house.

Which, given the idea was originally designed to stop me going stir crazy, may not be ideal.

Damn, how on earth can I become a cool and important twenty something without one?

Of course, I don't even have an Iphone or Android phone so I can't use Instagram anyway.

My life is over.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment